Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Bodies Through The Teeth of a Combine

Having no idea whether anyone read my last post, I decided it was time for a follow up effort. More so for my piece of mind than for anyone else's enjoyment, because I can think of at least 10 other websites more enjoyable than this. But alas, here I am, and here you are. So let's get on with it, shall we?

While I'm writing this, I'm home from work, sick, and laying on my bed. I have no idea on what to write about but let's go all "spontaneous" on this bitch and see how it ends up.
For the past 4 days I have been ill with a virus, so I've been coughing, sneezing and waking up at 4am with unbelievable headache's so it's kind of hard to get a whole lot of positive thoughts into my mind about anything. So please bear with me (not the grizzly kind dahuh) on any spelling and/or grammatical errors but who really gives a crap anyway. It's the internet, shit happens.

*meanwhile 5 hours later*

I started writing this thing then completely forgot about it... so I can't really remember what I had intended to write on here. Which is just perfect. Oh that's right... spontaneity.

Music. Let's just go with music (note: Metal), and my involvement and love for music (note: Metal).
Love, for one, comes hand in hand with close-mindedness, and when it comes to love and music, there is no exception at all. Me, being love with all things that is Metal, am naturally close-minded about mainstream radio play like rock, pop, hip-hop, rap, techno, dance, house, country, funk, and punk. I despise these genres. Sure, some amount of talent goes into it, (Pressing a few buttons to make techno and dance, putting power chords together for rock and punk etc.) but I just don't see the appeal in everything that gets played 20 times per day that is enjoyed by thousands upon thousands of people that couldn't really give a rats ass about the state of our music industry, and who only listen to the stuff because "the radio plays it, so it must be good". But let's not turn this into a rant (oh shi-).

My love for metal pretty much came about when I first heard Blinded In Chains by Avenged Sevenfold (not a great example of Metal, but it's still a kickass tune). I heard this whilst playing Need for Speed: Most Wanted and I fucking loved it. (Bear in mind, I was insanely into dance and rap at this stage). Just like that, after one song, I was hooked. I started listening to the whole catalogue of Avenged Sevenfold, which consisted of their albums Sounding the Seventh Trumpet, Waking The Fallen and of course City of Evil. But I didn't stop there. I had a couple of mates in High School who were listening to this awesome band that was getting around (circa 2006) called Parkway Drive.

Now, I don't know if you have heard anything by this band, but when the first song I ever heard from them started, my mind was blown into deep space. I knew straight away that this was my niche, and they didn't fully take hold of my full attention until a year after I heard Mutiny (off Killing With A Smile, 2005).

So, basically, Avenged Sevenfold and Parkway Drive pointed me in a direction I didn't know I needed or had to go in. And by Odin's Raven, I'm so glad I followed suit. Both of those bands fully expanded my mind to the Metal world, and from there, I backtracked and found Black Sabbath, Guns N Roses , Pantera, Iron Maiden, Killswitch Engage, Led Zeppelin and a whole host of other excellent and awesome bands of which I proudly listen to, and will so for the rest of my life.

In saying that, however, there are some borders of Metal I can't cross, and some I refuse to cross. Grindcore, for one. It's unbearable. Death Metal, Black Metal and Deathcore to some extents. For reasons I don't fully understand, I can't listen to them. I can listen to screaming and cowls and gutter growls, but it is beyond me on how my brain doesn't react positively to those genres. Maybe it's my preconceptions towards them, maybe not. Who know's? It's me and the Metal I like in one corner, and all of the other shit-stained music in the other corner. (HA, my own close-mindedness right there!)

Enough about Metal, there will always be another blog about it here. I can guarantee that.
So I'm pretty sure this is the end of this blog post... yeah.

One more thing. Just to check if anyone reads this dribble, for my next blog I will ask you, readers, to e-mail me a subject or topic you would like me to discuss on my next blog. It can be about anything. From the e-mails I get I will choose one and Valois: next blog, with your name on it.
(Yeah, I spoke French, hello ladies.)

Toodles.

*EDIT* e-mail your shit to sam.baird319@hotmail.com

Sam listened to the new album Nightmare by Avenged Sevenfold while writing this post. The second part of it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment